5.07.2013

Mean Mom Update

You all deserve an update.
I can say it in one sentence....
Mean Mom is still MEAN!

I took a brief hiatus from the blog because I had a "small" event to run.  It's called the Spring Fair and it's at Sweet Pea's elementary school. The same school that all of my children have attended.  My husband is my co-chair (I needed someone I could depend on), we work on it for months and it grosses over $30,000 in 3 hours - phew!  It has taken me a few days to recover.

So, while the Spring Fair is like a tornado in my life, add in an extra dose of Mean Mom and my brain got completely frazzled.

We met with the school after the initial complaint about Sweet Pea was filed and the school assured us that there was nothing to report.  Sweet Pea has never had any incident of any kind documented in her file in the 4 years she has been a student. They assured me that all was well and appeased the other mother accusing my daughter of being a bully by hearing her story and giving her assurance that all was well.

The next week brought another round of accusations.  Mean Mom recently complimented the teacher on a Lilly P sweater she was wearing and the teacher commented that the Bickies family had given her the sweater for Christmas.  Sure enough we did give the teacher a gorgeous cashmere sweater for Christmas and I was very clear in our gift that we paid $39 for it at the warehouse sale and nothing near the $300 retail.  Not for a second did we want to a) have any teacher think we were so extravagant or b) put on airs where none exist.

Mean Mom took that and started investigating the school district gifting policy because she was sure that we were "buying off" the teacher with expensive gifts in order to make her overlook Sweet Pea's "behavior".  A pure crock of molasses.

Last week was the last straw.  I received word from the rumor mill that Mean Mom was now circulating word that Sweet Pea's behavior was worsening and the teacher had promised her she would be calling us for a conference to address the worsening behavior.  I chose to head off the rumor and call the teacher to make ourselves available for a conference and assure her that we were fully invested.  The teacher responded immediately and assured me those words never left her mouth.  There was no behavior much less worsening behavior.  I spoke with she and the counselor and we have decided to play this out very carefully. 

I know that I can not discuss the issue with the Mean Mom directly because no matter which angle I come at it from, I will still continue to look like the bad guy.  The school is casually speaking to other parents to help put the rumors to rest. They are helping Sweet Pea rebuild her confidence and assuring me that all is well at school.

After the Spring Fair on Friday night we threw a Mexican Fiesta after party at our house for the chairs who have given so much in the past 4 months to make the Spring Fair happen. One of the moms was talking to Sweet Pea and she was talking about a special lunch she had with the teacher and guidance counselor.  Sweet Pea was sure to point out that she wasn't having lunch with them because she was in trouble.  It broke my heart to hear her have to explain herself.  I can only hope this experience, however frustrating has helped her understand the complexities of friendships and to know that, no matter what, her family will be right by her side loving her along the way.

As much as I adore Sweet Pea's 3rd grade teacher, I can't wait for this year to end!


7 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I can't get over how invested this woman is in making such a fuss. She needs a hobby with people her own age. Can you at least request that Mean Mom's child not be in the same classroom as Sweet Pea next year? To hopefully lessen the interaction?

KK
www.preppypinkcrocodile.com

Just Ask Beth said...

what in the hell is wrong with parents these days?? Clearly the child and mother have insecurity issues and are jealous of you and sweet pea.. i a so tired of these people..they ar ein the South also, but c'mon down, people are sweet here!

This American Wife said...

I am so sorry you are going through that. It's obvious to me (and it seems everyone else) that this poor woman has major problems, probably stemming from insecurity, and is a complete "whack job."

Too bad you're the target. Keep your chin up.

Anonymous said...

How about a meeting with teacher, principal, guidance counselor, you, sweet pea and mean mom and mean child??
Can she really keep up the farce with all those people in the room??!!

Her Preppiness said...

Ugh. I hate that u had to deal with this.

Shel said...

Keeping you both in my prayers! Third grade is way too young to have to deal with this nonsense. Keep loving that precious little girl of yours and know that you are on the right path. Hope to see you at the LP Warehouse sale in June!

3 Peanuts said...

This whole situation makes me so upset Jennifer. I think falsely accusing people of things constitutes bullying!!!!!

Poor sweet pea should not have to explain herself. The only thing I can say is that I will pray first for the accusing Mom because she obviously needs it the most and I will pray for your family too . The other thing I will offer is that humans grow through pain. If everything is easy peasy for our kids, they don't grow and learn life lessons. So when things are tough for my kids (and it is SO hard to watch) I remind myself that they are growing pains.

Hugs to you all. Keep your head up. The cream always rises to the top my friend!