1.18.2013

Her Heart is in the Right Place



I have so much to say...just ask my family :) I just need to get back here on a regular basis. I toss about printing off my posts and then closing this thing down or getting a new look and keeping it going. I haven't completely decided but for today I have a story to tell and time to tell it.

I wrote a thank you to a woman from church today.  She is my Sweet Pea's Sunday School teacher and is quiet to my chatty, calm to my hurry and insightful to my checking it off the list.    

Sweet Pea's Brownie troop requires the girls to each pick a service project to complete during the year.  My daughter picked the "Birthday-in-a-Box" project. She has written a letter to close friends and family asking for donations of Birthday party supplies which she will package up so that a family will have all they need for a birthday celebration (cake mix, frosting, pan, party plates and napkins, etc) and donate it to a local organization serving the less fortunate in our area.  She picked this project because she wants children and families who otherwise couldn't afford birthday supplies to enjoy a birthday celebration, just like she does.

Last Sunday I talked with her Sunday School teacher about Sweet Pea's Birthday-in-a-Box project and she made me see so clearly what this project is for Sweet Pea.  I knew, but hadn't yet seen, that this project exemplifies the joy my daughter will feel in doing for and giving to others.   I knew it but I didn't see it and thanks to her insight I have seen it every step of the way and have this week used those thoughts to encourage Sweet Pea.   

As I braided her hair this morning I was a) so thankful that she still allows me to do her hair and b) able to talk about cookie sales and how it was conflicting with her service project.   I hate for her to ask too much of others and she completely understood. I asked her which project was more important and she didn't miss a beat and answered,

"The Birthday-in -a-Box project is more important because it is for others that are in need. GS cookies sales are just cookies and the money raised is for us to do activities which isn't as important".  

My heart was singing at that moment and I am so thankful to my daughter's Sunday School teacher for planting the seed in me that this project was going to show Sweet Pea that it is exciting to receive but even more exciting to receive and share that gift with others.

13 comments:

Love Being A Nonny said...

beautiful...inside and out.

Lisa Odom said...

THAT IS WONDERFUL!

Don't go!!

The Mrs. said...

She is amazing and you are raising her right!!!

This American Wife said...

Such a sweet servant's heart. Glad you're back. I miss your voice.

Anonymous said...

My daughter's troop did the same project when she was younger. I think it's a wonderful very relatable service project for young girls.

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

She truly is a sweet pea! And I was thinking while reading about the birthday-in-a-box, that it sounds just like something her momma would do, or has already done!

You are two peas in a pod!

lori carolina said...

Beautiful heart! Both of you.

Kelly C said...

Your daughter is absolutely stunning! Has she ever considered modelling? Such an adorable post. Looking forward to the next one.

Also, I actually just recently started my own blog devoted to fashion, pabulum and travel! It'd mean a lot if you could check it out and let me know what you think. It's at http://the3commandments.blogspot.com

Kate said...

I agree with everyone. Such a beautiful girl with a warm heart. Good job momma!

The Mrs. said...

What a loving daughter just like here Mama!!!

Olivia: (mostly) Happy Homemaker said...

Hello??? You just left the funniest comment on a facebook post of mine and I chuckle every time I think about it! I can just hear your sarcasm :)))

Thinking about you and sure would love an update soon:)

Lori said...

I thought I already read this/commented but don't see my comment? (prob just losing my mind:))

Anyway, you daughter is beautiful, what a lovely heart she has. She obviously has learned from your example.:)

Lori said...

ps thanks for the sweet comment!! and yes to bows:))